"Girls are learning and laughing their way to advance science"
LOCATION: UNC CENTER CITY 320 E. 9TH Street
AUGUST – MAY
SATURDAYS: 9AM – Noon
GPS STEAM Saturday’s are super exciting workshops that engage girls in science and mathematics! Girls are learning and laughing their way to advance science and applied mathematics! Researchers have found that play is important for productive thought. Playing with ideas also increases learning. GPS STEAM Saturday blends fun with chemistry concepts to nurture creativity. Each session has an exciting theme that is relevant to current events or holidays. We start the year with STEAM! In January we build winter wonderlands using concepts in Engineering and Art; February we make 3D Cards that light up the heart, using Technology and Digital Art; March is a good time to spring into science by creating fresh scents! The second quarter workshop themes are Easter, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day, DIY (do it yourself) gifts that are filled with the Beauty of Science!
Essential Elements for Project-Based Learning
- Each activity focus on team play, creativity and problem-solving skills
- Each session includes a challenging problem and question
- Girls engage in a rigorous, extended process of asking questions, finding resources, and applying information.
- We use the awarding winning B.O.S. Kit Curriculum that includes real-world context, tasks and tools that speaks to a girl’s personal concerns, interests, and issues.
- Girls have a voice and choice about the projects that they create.
- Each session includes time for reflection and evaluation, focusing on what worked, product quality, obstacles, and how to overcome them.
- Includes opportunities for girls to have open candid conversations, giving and receiving feedback to improve their processes and products.
- Includes resources for girls to explain, display and/or present their products to people beyond the classroom.
MONTHLY STEAM ACTIVITIES
- JANUARY: Engineering
- FEBRUARY: Technology
- MARCH: Science
- APRIL: Computer Science
- MAY: Organic Chemistry
- AUGUST: Back to STEAM!
- SEPTEMBER:Girls Engineering SaturDAY
- OCTOBER: Spooky Science
- NOVEMBER: The Beauty of Giving Thanks
- DECEMBER: The Science of Giving Back- Santa’s Workshop